Saturday, November 17, 2007

I do not compute


Am having much internet trouble, my browser having slowed to almost nothing because I've reached the limit of my 'unlimited' monthly downloads, largely to do with my foster-kid's constant down loads of games, game-related stuff and videos. It's great to have someone else to blame. I've ticked him off, as I've done before, and now I have to wait three days before I'm back at full speed.


I'm not a great a visitor of the blogs of others and I rarely comment on them, being a strangely anti-social type who always complains about lack of social contact, but also because the technology of blogging and computer shite in general is unfamiliar to me. I don't even know what a tag is, or not clearly. Having somehow arrived at this charming writerly blog, I've found out a bit more, though I don't think I'll ever be much into the memetagging thing. My top five movies, books, songs, dining experiences, whatever, I hate being asked those questions, they require me to be too decisive. It's as if you've defined yourself, however provisionally, and you immediately want to break free from the definition. And yet I'm tempted and I've occasionally drawn up such lists...


But what exactly is tagging? Is it like a cyberchain letter? I've read wikipedia's piece on tagging and I'm none the wiser.

I'm also having trouble just changing the design of my own blog. I wanted to 'come out' and put a real picture of myself in my profile, but I've not been able to make the switch after about a half a day of playing around with it. I need to have an affair with a sexy computer geek.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:15 pm , Blogger cerebralmum said...

It's exactly like a cyberchain letter and it's a way to accrue links and gain a wider audience for your blog. I hate chain letters, and often the questions are awful. I think the etiquette for me is to answer those that are a little more open-ended or come from someone who has a genuine interest rather than just wanting a link exchange.

That "charmingly writerly blog" can now be found at Bohemiology. She moved for a little more anonymity and is taking a blog-break at the moment but I if you update your bookmarks, you'll know when she comes back. I hope it's soon. She was one of the first people I "met" when I started blogging. I have a lot of respect for her.

I don't use Blogger, so I can't tell you exactly how to "come out". I think the profile pic has to be hosted online, rather than uploaded from your computer. I'll send a Blogger-blogger by to let you know how to do it exactly. Whether an affair eventuates from that... who knows. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

pavlov's cat