Wednesday, October 26, 2005

pretentieux, moi?


The film Supersize Me has at least motivated me to get off my butt for a bit, to dust off the old pedo and get moving. Just back from a 75 minute walk, required to get my steps up to over 10,000 by 8pm tonight.

I first put the pedo on at about 8.30pm last night, so I vowed to measure my steps at 8pm the following night. That time is now, and I’ve managed 10023, but only because of this lengthy walk, because at about 6.30pm I noticed I was still down in the four thousands. I’ve also more or less skipped dinner – ate a toasted chicken and cheese sanny, courtesy of Sarah. Still too much bread, and no greens. Peckish after the walk, might chop up a banana and an apple, with yoghurt. I’m trying. Of course it’s what I don’t put down here that really counts.

All of which reminds me that one of my favourite books is Rousseau’s ‘Reveries of a solitary walker’ – now how might I try my hand at an updated version of this sort of lightsome romantic gush?

Quand le soir approchait , je descendais des cimes de l'île et j'allais volontiers m'asseoir au bord du lac sur la grève dans quelque asile caché ; là le bruit des vagues et l'agitation de l'eau fixant mes sens et chassant de mon âme toute autre agitation la plongeaient dans une rêverie délicieuse où la nuit me surprenait souvent sans que je m'en fusse aperçu. Le flux et le reflux de cette eau, son bruit continu mais renflé par intervalles frappant sans relâche mon oreille et mes yeux suppléaient aux mouvements internes que la rêverie éteignait en moi et suffisaient pour me faire sentir avec plaisir mon existence, sans prendre la peine de penser. De temps à autre naissait quelque faible et courte réflexion sur l'instabilité des choses de ce monde dont la surface des eaux m'offrait l'image : mais bientôt ces impressions légères s'effaçaient dans l'uniformité du mouvement continu qui me berçait, et qui sans aucun concours actif de mon âme ne laissait pas de m'attacher au point qu'appelé par l'heure et par le signal convenu je ne pouvais m'arracher de là sans effort.

Somehow an hour of pavement-pounding through Oz suburbia doesn’t quite get me there. Nice roses but.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

pavlov's cat